Monday, December 1, 2008

Advent Quilt

Here it is, all complete, my quilted advent calendar for the grandchildren. The center has 24 various sized pockets to hold goodies (I am thinking candy, poems, songs, etc.) on a white starred background. Then I placed red extra large bias tape around it to give it some depth. The blue is a print that says Joy on it and yes, it had to be fussy cut to read correctly from any angle. It is then placed on top of a blue and white snowflake background and bound with a red print.

Here is a much better close up for the pockets. I used silver and red rickrack for the trim and the pockets are sewn on using a gold metallic satin stitch.

I saw this pattern a few years back and never had the time to make it, but over the last few weeks I was
able to cut it out, sew, press and complete a little at a time.

Now, I need to find a place to hang it up in the house! It has three tabs to hang it with. I am really thinking I need to get a nice wooden quilt rod and place it in the stair well and I can change the quilts with the seasons!


While finishing this up, I began to wonder what is Advent and while I know it has a bit to do the Christiani
ty and Jesus Christ, I wasn't to sure since we count down the 24 days prior to Christmas.

'T
he word Advent means "coming" or "arrival." The focus of the entire season is the celebration of the birth of Jesus the Christ in his First Advent, and the anticipation of the return of Christ the King in his Second Advent. Thus, Advent is far more than simply marking a 2,000 year old event in history. It is celebrating a truth about God, the revelation of God in Christ whereby all of creation might be reconciled to God.'
(Taken from the world wide web, December 1, 2008. http://www.http://www.cresourcei.org/cyadvent.html).

So, I was right about Advent being about Jesus and NOT Santa as so many people think it is, or maybe just the little ones since they seem to be counting down for the presents.

What I like about celebrating the Advent, is it can include all children and teach them a stronger understanding of this season and why we celebrate. '
An Advent Calendar is a way to keep children involved in the entire season. There are a wide variety of Advent calendars, but usually they are simply a card or poster with windows that can be opened, one each day of Advent, to reveal some symbol or picture associated with the Old Testament story leading up to the birth of Jesus.' (Taken from the world wide web, December 1, 2008. http://www.http://www.cresourcei.org/cyadvent.html). So, hiding some poems on Christmas and small scripture cards will also be a great idea to place in my advent quilt. The last two pictures are showing the up close shots of the Joy fabric I used as the inner border print and the snowflakes. Anyone who knows me, knows I can't have Christmas or winter without showing a bit of the wonderful white stuff.

Have a joy filled week!

No comments: