Monday, August 15, 2011

Christmas Time Scotties, No Fair



Remember all those little Scottie dogs I posted awhile ago? I was so ambitious I was going to complete the quilt in time for the fair? Wrong!




This quilt was more time intense than I prepared for, for several reasons. First, I have never done a blanket stitch by hand and each one of these cuties are hand blanket stitched to the muslin.




Secondly, for some reason and I do not know how or why, they started out as 6x6 inch squares and I kept hacking at them now they are about 4x4, I don't even know what happened.





Thirdly, I have never used muslin and I do not know if it was this specific type of muslin or muslin in general, but this piece seemed to fray quite a bit and I had some issues with it when I was sewing it kept fraying.




As you can see, I finally got the inner border on it last night and yes, the pattern calls for the inner borders to be non-matching!




The top border is a Patrick Lose fabric that I won several years back and am still finding some great uses for it. Patrick is an amaing fabric designer! The side border is a fabric I have also had for awhile, but the candy is Christmas!

So, I didn't get this in the fair, but since each little puppy is done in a different Christmas themed fabric, I have decided to dub it the Christmas Scotty quilt in the hopes I may have it complete by Christmas.


I still have the outer border, the back, the binding and it gets hand quilting around each puppy and then a scrolled border.


I think it will keep me busy at least until I go back to work again.


Here is another picture so you can see the individual puppies and get a better look at how simply adorable are!

































1 comment:

Jessica said...

Wow, that is a lot of work - but you did a beautiful job!! :)