Friday, May 4, 2012

Never Ending Quilt...Almost Finished



Sadly, I must admit, I bit off more than I could chew on this one. I decided to make a biscuit quilt for my granddaughter. I mean, it looked so cute, how hard could it be? Let me tell you, the making the individual stuffed pockets was easy, the sewing was difficult and in the end, the last few rows had to be hand sewed in place.



She has been sleeping with it the past few days and when I told her I still needed to put a back on it, she refused. I think she is afraid if she gives it up, she won't get it back and she has made it known several times over the past two years (yes, I am ashamed to say years) that I was taking forever (drama queen tone on the forever). The dark blue patches were her Papas old PJ's she loved so much and asked me to add them to her quilt.

Here is a picture of a quilt I am making to put in my Zibbet shop and have quilted and bound by the end of the week. I had hoped to have it done for sale for Mothers day, however I have had some medical tests that have taken up more time than planned and my back is starting to give me some problems again, so this year my quilting has really been slow. This is the front of the quilt on the left.



It is done up in colors of violet, purple and pinks and I combined floral, plaid and stripes to make it really stand out. My husband commented that he thought this one was my best yet and coming from him that was a huge compliment!



I was going to go with a solid back of dark purple when a bolt of inspiration hit me and I decided to use the front quilt fabrics for the back and make a scrappy back for it. I love the fact that I didn't make all the squares the same size, because it gives it just a more relaxed and I think homey feeling.





I decided to hand quilt this pattern onto the back side of the quilt in the middle of each square. It really is a great design and I love the fact my new Pilot FriXion pens allow me to see what I am sewing over and when I am finished, a warm iron takes all the ink away.


On this square I used an orange FriXion pen so I could see the outline a bit better. Remember, just a warm iron and the ink disappears. I would recommend you test all fabrics first just to be safe, but so far, I have had no issues!


On that note, please don't forget to come back on Monday for the Pilot FriXion pen giveaway I am having right here at the Quilting Ranny!





























































































4 comments:

Kim-A Creative Spirit said...

By the looks of things you would never know that your quilting has slowed down. They are all beautiful. Thanks for sharing

Sherry said...

Love the quilts. My mom made a biscuit quilt years ago....I wonder what ever happened to it?? I imagine it would be hard to sew together, but it is really nice!

Sherry

Sara said...

Your granddaughter will think of her Papa every time she snuggles under that quilt and sees those PJ pieces. That is really special. And she loves that quilt with or without a backing, so you made her very happy!

Unknown said...

I really love the quilts. It looks like you have been really busy!