Saturday, July 21, 2012

Calling All Quilters, Aurora Colorado

I am sending out an all call to all my quilting friends and their quilting friends and their quilting friends and quilt shops all around the world.  Please, get the word out:

Aurora Colorado shooting is beyond any words I can even begin to come up with.  It is horrible and will affect the families, friends, community members and world forever.  

As a retired police dispatcher I can tell you that the 14 dispatchers that were on duty, their supervisors, the communications center will never be the same and neither will the dispatchers that were home at this time and probably sped to their center to offer help and support.

I can't imagine the first responders and what they are going through.

I am asking for our quilting community to help me reach out to these wonderful unsung, silent behind the scenes heroes and let them know we care.  As a former dispatcher affected by being on duty during a police involved shooting I can tell you it had a devastating effect on me.  These heroes will go back to work, they will smile, they will get through it, we always do, but lets make them know we care.

Please, contact me immediately so we can get them some quilts. I am asking for 82 for the communications center, but I know we can do better.  Lets make enough to send to the fire fighters, police officers, ambulance drivers, coroners employee's etc.  Lets show them we love them and we care.

You may be thinking a quilt, what a strange thing to send. No, a beautifully made lap sized or larger quilt is perfect for them to place across their lap and remember that someone from another part of the country or world really cares about them.

We have done this for Tsunami victims, tornado victims, hurricane victims. I made quilts for the Virginia Tech dispatchers, however I cannot make 82 quilts, so I am asking you to please step up and help.

Here is what you need to do:
1- Commit
2- Send me a picture when it is done
3- Let me know it is completed and ready to be shipped

When this is done, I will send you an address of where the quilts need to go.  So, for all my wonderful quilt friends out there who have tops that are UFO's here is your chance to finish them. For all of you who have quilts sitting unused in your closets, now is the time to bless others.

Lets post this on your blogs, on facebook and lets get this party started! 

Lap Sized and perhaps a bit larger are perfect sizes. If you can't afford the postage, contact me, however postage will be pre-paid to Aurora only!

8 comments:

ali_elli_ said...

This is such a wonderful thing! I wish I was a quilter or could just sew for that matter, since I can't do either of those things I have shared this blog on my facebook wall. Hopefully some of my quilting friends will want to help or someone will see it and share it as well and at least help get the word out.

ali_elli_ said...

This is such a wonderful thing! I wish I was a quilter or could just sew for that matter, since I can't do either of those things I have shared this blog on my facebook wall. Hopefully some of my quilting friends will want to help or someone will see it and share it as well and at least help get the word out.

ali_elli_ said...

This is such a wonderful thing! I wish I was a quilter or could just sew for that matter, since I can't do either of those things I have shared this blog on my facebook wall. Hopefully some of my quilting friends will want to help or someone will see it and share it as well and at least help get the word out.

Kathy S. said...

What size quilt is good for a cause like this? I only have baby quilts ready to ship, but could try to whip up a WIP.

Michelle aka Naila Moon said...

I have no idea how to quilt but I am passing this on via Twitter and FB.

Do you think that it is possible to make one for each of the families that lost a loved one? I am just asking.

Peace...
~Naila Moon

jennifer robin said...

I truely wish I could say I am a quilter. I would love to offer up some help. Send me your address and I will send money to help with the postage for someone else.

Anna said...

I don't quilt but I have a great Sister who said "Awesome....I'm going to give this info to the comfort quilt committee at piecemakers quilt guild...will probably be able to send several"

Good luck.

Quiltingranny said...

Thank you all and keep up the amazing work!