Sunday, January 11, 2009

Come To Sunday Dinner...

When was the last time you were invited to a Sunday dinner? For many of us, we live far away from family or friends and many of us work on Sundays or do our weekly running around and chores on that day. But when was the last time someone genuinely invited you to dinner?

Tonight, we are having a real Sunday sit-down dinner. The roast(s) and vegetables are in the pan simmering deliciously away. You can see the carrots and turnips on the top. The bottom has sauteed onions and celery in olive oil with a bit of Merlot wine.

With this roast, we will have mashed potatoes and gravy to go with it and rolls. I will place candles in the middle of the table and have cloth napkins & you can feel free to at least believe you are joining us.

While I can't change your circumstances, I can change mine. I can put on an apron, but that doesn't mean I'm a cook, but puttin
g on the apron changes my frame of mind and prepares me to cook. So, I am changing my attitude and feeling great about cooking for a change.

We can use anything to change if we repeatedly tell ourselves it is for our good. For instance, I am not one to make news years resolutions, wear make-up, look nice or make my own bed. Those things have always been on the bottom of my priority list. But this year, I decided to make some changes in the way my home looks and I look. All part of that attitude thing I guess.

Each morning I get out of bed and get dressed, I make my bed now placing all the pretty pillows I have on top of it and now I no longer feel embarrassed when company comes over or have to close my bedroom door. Our bedroom sits right off the living room for those that might want to know.

I also have taken to putting make up on and this entails mixing a bit of moisturizer with s
ome liquid foundation and blending it together real good. It makes for a perfect coverage and I don't feel it is as heavy to wear.

Lastly, I am making an effort to not wear ratty clothes all the time. Just because they are comfortable, doesn't mean they should be worn out in public.

What attitude changes do you want to make? I would love to hear from you and even if you are perfectly happy as you are, you are still invited to dinner, so grab a fork and have a seat and welcome to Sunday dinners!

As you can see, dinner was a hit, we used candles I set in a lazy susan and took out the good serving bowl to place our veggies in and as you can see, there is still plenty of room around the table.

3 comments:

Just me-Jerri said...

Oh wow! I love the thought. It has been years since we have been invited to Sunday dinner. Probably 20 and it was during my college years. We have invited a few families from church over since we moved here but being a military family we seem to not make those close hearted friends although we try, that my parents did that still are like family today. I would love a friendship like this where we can sit and chat and enjoy fellowship together.

Sherry said...

I wish I was close enough to come to your house for dinner!! I think my kids would have a great time with your grandkids!

I would like to change:

1. Not wearing raggy clothes all the time. I dress terrible since I stay at home and very seldom leave the house. I think a little nicer clothes would make me fell better though!

2. Loose weight. I have gotten so fat that I am embarrassed to leave the house. I am even embarrassed for my older kids to come over and see me like this.

3. I enjoy having my craft room. At my old house as soon as people walked in the door there was my sewing machine and ironing board and whatever other craft stuff I had out. I was always so embarrassed for people to come into our old house. I love having a clean living room for people to walk into (including me!)

4. Dinner around the table. At the old house we ate in the living room in front of the tv. Earl surprised yesterday with a dinig room table and enough chairs for all of us. It will be so nice to eat dinner at a table as a family again!

The visit was great and dinner was (looked anyway) delicious!!

Thanks for the invite Jean and now I'd better get busy making some changes!
Sherry

Unknown said...

LOL I was thinking I should avoid the old comfy clothes a few days a week too! I am sure my husband would appreciate knowing that I have something besides worn out sweat pants, undershirt and flannel shirts to wear - they are just so comfy. When I see them laying out I just feel good putting them on. :)