Sunday, February 15, 2009

My February Handmade Choices

I have already decided where I am spending my February money I set aside for handmade items this month. The choice was really pretty simple with the fact my son and his soon to be wife are having a baby and they have nothing for it. It isn't they don't want to be ready, he lost his job and is working as a cab driver and some days he makes $5 and they don't have any extra cash.

So, I have been busy the last few days as you know. I made a quilt, a receiving blanket, washcloth and am working on another quilt. The box I am sending off will also have a baby dress, booties and 3 small bottles. I have a friend here who has generously offered to send them a package of newborn diapers and a few small items.

So, it goes without saying that I was looking for baby themed handmade items this month when I came across D's Chic Boutique, an Etsy shop by Dawn Stevens that makes and sells handbags and one that would work perfectly as a diaper bag for a young mom and so very reasonably priced at only $29.00. Dawn also makes wallets, checkbook covers and journals and she her prices can't be beat.

If you are looking to start your Christmas shopping, birthday gift shopping,bridal or baby shower shopping and wanting something unique, I recommend D's Chic Boutique!
When you stop in and look around her shop, let her know I sent you via my blog.

The second handmade/small business/local is leading me to be torn in two different directions.
One is I would like to purchase some handmade soaps from another Etsy shop, but I am also needing fabric and wanting to make a trip to Blue Heron fabrics in Ocean Shores at the end of the month or supporting one of the wonderful quilt shops that help make the Quilt Dash
such as huge success by supporting the dash and contributing to the prizes.

Speaking of the Quilt Dash, they are also starting a baby dash coming very soon called the Stork Dash. If any of you want to join in and take your chance at winning some great prizes, join the Stork Dash.

As always, do your best to support local shops, handmade shops, stay at home moms and dads, grandparents raising grandchildren, etc. If we all support these type of shops during our trying economic times, we really can make a difference in someones life!

No comments: