Sunday, March 15, 2009

Sunday Brunch and the Letter M


Instead of Sunday dinner this evening, I thought I would post a Sunday Brunch for 2 reasons. The first being I have a very sick little girl with a tummy ache and the yucks that go with it and second, we had our large dinner last evening so tonight would be left overs. Who knows, I may post about it later.

For our brunch today the kids and I took a short trip to 7-11 to pick up the little one some 7-UP for his unsettled tummy and some hot chocolate for the kids and I confess, a cupa for me. No, I don't think it blows my diet if once a week I want a cheap latte.

Yesterday while I was out at out local fruit stand, they had blueberries for less than a dollar a container (okay, a penny less than a dollar...still!) I bought 3 so I can fix smoothies on my diet for breakfast or snacks.

This morning, none of the kids wanted the usual breakfast, two of them wanted donuts and right now into my diet, that isn't a good thing to have around as I am still very weak & know I would cave in. So, I decided to make this very simple and very yummy Blueberry Coffee cake instead. It is almost like a Blueberry Upside Down cake and so simple.
The recipe will follow our lesson.

Today, the letter "M" is for manners and since manners and meals seem to go together I think this is appropriate. I guess in today's economic times I could have chosen money, but there is way to much chatter on that subject as it is.

What does manners mean to you? Easily defined, manners are a way of behavior that is polite towards others and an action of correction when we do something inadvertently. If I bump into you in a store as I walk quickly by, I should stop and turn and tell you excuse me or I am sorry. To not do so in my book is rude.

Manners are please and thank you when we request something and that request is met. It is excusing yourself from the table to blow your nose, belch/burp or to pass gas. On this note, I must relay a story (my son would have a fit if he knew I was repeating this) of when our youngest son was about 5 or 6. We had been out all day looking for a new vehicle and decided to stop in at Wendy's for a bite to eat. We had been there for awhile eating lunch when the youngest excused himself from the table. We thought he was going to the bathroom. Little did we know until we turned to our horror/crawl under the table turning red moment, that he had excused himself to pass gas.

He walked away from the table as he had been taught to do, but backed up without knowledge to another table where an older couple were sitting and broke wind, we realized it only when he began fanning himself what had occurred and while my husband was laughing so hard, it was all I could do to run out in horror. Of course once in the car, I laughed until I cried, but I still wonder about that poor older couple. My husband did make him apologize, but I think their meal was ruined. Yes, hubby offered them money for another meal but they refused.

Manners are writing thank you cards to someone even if you called and said thank you. It is opening a door for someone in front of you or holding it open for the next person in line. It is turning your cell phone off in church, removing your hat for the flag salute and I can go on and on.

The Bible tells us in 1 Peter 1: 13-16 "Conduct yourself in such a way (in a manner) that you simulate to others, best responses. As women, we are told in Proverbs that a gracious woman retains honor and that her spouse praises her.
We as women are expected to conduct ourselves as such no matter what we think, many times we are judged by others on our manners and the way we conduct ourselves.

We should always conduct ourselves as if we were being judged, because God will judge us one day, perhaps not so much on our manners, but I am sure on our conduct and the way we treated others and how we reached out to others and brought them to the cross.

Have a Blessed Day and don't forget please and thank you go along way even with our spouses.

Blueberry Coffeecake:

Blueberry Topping

2 cups blueberries (fresh or partially thawed)
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 cup honey
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Cake

1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup honey
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons butter, melted

Place blueberries in the bottom of a greased (do not use cooking sprays, the topping will stick) 9" round cake pan; evenly spread blueberries, sprinkle with 2 tblspoons flour, drizzle with honey and lemon juice and set aside.

In a small bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside. In another bowl combine honey, eggs, mile, lemon juice, lemon peel and vanilla & beat with a fork until well mixed. Add flour mixture and mix well. Stir in melted butter; mix well. Pour batter over blueberries in pan, spread evenly and bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick in center comes out clean. Cool pan on wire rack 10 minutes, invert cake on large plate and cool & serve.

Calories 340
Total fat 10 g



1 tablespoon all-purpose flour



1 comment:

Unknown said...

funny story! Oh the little kids and what they do...sometimes you just have to cringe while you are laughing.