Monday, May 25, 2009

To All Who Serve, Have Served, Thank you

I want to thank all of those who are currently serving our country to continue to keep us safe and our country free. My hugs and prayers go out to each of you and to your families who sacrifice your lives, your time with each other to perform a duty that you believe needs to be done!


I have been a military wife, I know how difficult a job it is, to do it all and to remain upbeat and positive when you speak to the one you love so far away. The joy of standing on a dock or at an airport waiting to spot your loved one. The shear wonder as a child comes home and there standing in front of them is a parent they haven't seen in months.

If I ever go to war...

If I ever go to war Mom, Please don't be afraid.There are some things I must do, To keep the promise that I made.I'm sure there will be some heartache, And I know that you'll cry tears,But your son is a Soldier now, Mom, There is nothing you should fear.If I ever go to war Dad, I know that you'll be strong.But you won't have to worry, Cause you taught me right from wrong.You kept me firmly on the ground, yet still taught me how to fly.Your son is a Soldier now Dad, I love you Hooah, Even if I die.If I ever go to war Bro, There are some things I want to say.You've always had my back, and I know it's my time to repay.You'll always be my daybreak, through all of life's dark clouds,Your brother is a Soldier now, Bro, I promise I'll make you proud.If I ever go to war Sis, don't you worry bout me,I always looked out for you, but I can't do that anymore,Cause I'm a big bro to all in America.I love you so much and you know that, Your brothers a soldier now Sis,So wipe your eyes, I'll be fine even if I die.If I ever go to war my Friends, We'll never be apart,Though we may not meet again, I'll hold you in my heart.Remember all the times we had, Don't let your memories cease,Your friend is a Soldier now, Dear Friend, And I'll die to bring you peace.And when I go to heaven, And see that pearly gate,I'll gladly decline entrance, Then stand my post and wait.I'm sorry Sir I can't come in, I'm sort of in a bind,You see I'm still a Soldier Sir, So I can't leave them behind.



By PFC Jonathan W. Guffey Alpha Company101st Airborne 2/506th Infantry Air Assault Iraq 2006 10 July 2006


My dad, friends and cousin served in Viet Nam. My uncle served in Korea. My husband and best friend served during the original Iran crisis, a family friend served in Iraq.

We don't have to like the powers that be, we don't have to like the war, but we must always support our soldiers, the brave men, women and sometimes very young men and women that join the military to not only serve their country, but to give us the freedom that the countries they are in do not have.

I can't listen to the National Anthem, have a parade flag pass me by or thank a United States soldier without my voice cracking and my eyes filling up with tears. It means that much to me and I want to say God Bless each and everyone of you that serves or has served. I know first hand, it isn't an easy journey all the time, but you stood strong!

I remember awhile back being in a grocery store in Olympia. I noticed an army soldier and I went up and said, 'excuse me, I would like to thank you and your family for serving our country.' He just quietly said thank you. While many others around us, never said a word.

Today, if you see a military person you know or don't know, buy them a cup of coffee, hell, invite them and their family over for dinner. Remember, they are fighting for our freedom to not only live, but to even protest the war if that is what you want to do. Give them a smile and say, 'thank you.'

No comments: