Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Real Beginnings of Summer

I believe the real beginning to summer is near the end of school. The time when you can just feel the excitement and nervousness in the air when you walk into the school. The kids are so full of giggles, excitement and new things to talk about everyday and they begin to realize they will not have to get up early for several months.

In our school district this year, the end is bittersweet. We have a teacher of over 40 years teaching retiring and she will be so missed. We have a junior high teacher that was teaching elementary last year and she is loosing her job, she was Rif'd, we have many high school teachers loosing their jobs and that is only in one district.

Yesterday, I worked the field day at the school my grandchildren attend. I did it last year as well and it is always so much fun. Teams are made of 4, 5 & 6th grade students and then they are all assigned a leader who takes them from one activity to the next and keeps score. They have so much fun and it is a great way for me to volunteer some time to the school.

It is also funny when I am on the campus how many of my reading students from last year recognize me after a few minutes and run up and hug me and ask how I am and they are so happy I don't have my cane anymore.

Then, there are those students who know my grandchildren call me Ranny and they have begun to call me Ranny and hug me and you see sometimes confusion on the other students faces, as if to say, 'I didn't know you were their grandma as well.'

Summer is almost here, the 1st grader of the family went on the yearly trip to the beach and the Westport museum and while she only collected 2 small shells, these were really cool shells that I haven't see in this area before. She was excited about seeing a jelly fish up close even though it was dead!

Next week, there is an ice cream social and park fun for one class, picnics and field trips for the others and you can tell, school is winding down.

The normally talkative 6th and 8th graders are becoming more subdued with the realization that they will be at new schools next year, with new rules, new teachers and new students and it is exciting and scary at the same time.

I am hoping this summer will see my back surgery over and a quick but not rushed recovery and at least one trip to Seattle to walk the waterfront.

Only 5 days left and school will be over until September. Wow! Where did the year go?

No comments: