Friday, September 11, 2009

9-11, I Remember

On September 11, 2001, I had just gotten off the night shift from my job as a 911 police dispatcher and was heading home with the radio blaring when the news came across that the first tower of the New York Trade Center had been hit. I almost ran off the side of the road.

Like others, I had thought it was an awful accident. I wasn't even out of my truck in the driveway when my husband ran out and said, the trade center had been hit. I know and all I could think of was my step-mother who worked in New York City (I didn't even know where she worked). No he said, the second tower was hit. Jerry had to pull me out of the truck as I began to cry.

Then the Pentagon got hit and the plane went down in Pennsylvania and I knew this September 11th would always burn in my memory and the people of the United States would never feel the same again.

Today, I am happy to say, my step-mother was NOT one of the victims, my family in Washington D.C. were safe, but so many others died and I prayed, I held my granddaughter Shyann who was 4 months old close to me and wept.

Today, in memory of all those who lost their lives, to their families and to Vincent Danz NYPD of whose MIA bracelet I wore for several years and was blessed by one of the sargeants I worked with to have a poster that bore those who died. Not a day goes by that I am not thankful for their sacrifices and pray for their families.

Today, I post Psalm 91:1 in the hope that someone who reads it will have peace, someone who reads it will come to know Jesus, someone who reads it will ask for prayer, someone who reads it will know, I am praying for you, though I do NOT know you!

'He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High , Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.

I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress, My God, In Him I will trust.

Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler And fromthe perilous pestilence.

He shall cover you with His feathers, And under His wings you shall take refuge; His truth shall be your shield and buckler.

You shall not be afraid of the terror by night. Nor of the arrow that flies by day, Nor of the destruction that lays waste at noonday.

A thousand may fall at your side, And ten thousand at your right hand; But it shall not come near you.

Only with your eyes shall you look, And see the reward of the wicked.

Because you had made the Lord who is my refuge, Even the Most High, your dwelling place.

No evil shall befall you. Nor shall any plague come near your dwelling; For He shall give His angels charge over you, To keep you in all your ways.

In their hands they shall bear you up. Lest you dash your foot against a stone.

You shall tread upon the lion and the cobra. The young lion and the serpent you shall trample underfoot.

Becase he has set his love upon Me, therefore I will deliver him; I will set him on high, because he has known My name.

He shall call upon Me , and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him and honor him.

With long life I will satisfy him, And show him My Salvation.'

(Taken from: New Spirit-Filled Life Bible for Women. Thomas Nelson. 1982. Tennessee.)

Today, I dedicate this blog to those who are angels sitting one Gods right hand, to those families who lost loved ones, to those brave men and women who went into the fire and came out alive, to all those who know that peace does not come from terror, but peace comes from love and understanding!

No comments: