Thursday, December 17, 2009

Taking My Health Back....Fresh Eyes!

I think the best thing my surgeon did was send me back to see my family doctor who is an amazing and compassionate woman who has no problem speaking her mind and she did.

First of all she told me that my physical therapy schedule isn't doing me any good once a week. She told me to talk to my PT who also owns a gym and see what he would be willing to do. Then go and do what I need to do. The PT said I could see him once a week as long as I promised to do my water exercises at his gym the other 5 days a week. The cost to use the pool? Since I am a patient, $25 per month.

As far as my pain, she said I had so much damage to my muscles and back before surgery, I can't expect them to act 25 years old now. So, in addition to walking in the pool 5 days a week, she has ordered massage 2x a week for the next 5 weeks.

The worst part of this is I have to drink an entire gallon of water a day. I guess most of my exercise will come from dragging the porta potty behind me everywhere I go! The reason for this was as she explained, if my muscles dehydrate they will spasm and since it is my largest back muscle causing me problems that is something I need to start.

Do they make environmental safe gallon containers for water? HAHA!!

She also placed me on a new medication specifically to help my muscles relax and wants me to take it three times a day and to remain on my current medications which she says is for my Fibromyalgia.

She promised me that if I follow her instructions and those of my Rheumatologist, I will begin feeling a bit better within the next 2 months...as she said, a body builder doesn't get ripped in 30 days and neither will I heal all the damage that quickly!

At least, I have some hope now!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Jean, it does get easier with the water. I try to drink 2 quarts of water each day to help flush out toxins. I put my water in glass canning jars. Good luck and feel better.

Quiltingranny said...

Thanks Cathy, I will try the jars and I just found Coleman makes a stainless gallon jug...expensive but it should be worth it!