Thursday, February 4, 2010

A Great Meal For Under $5

I can't say I will always be this dedicated to trying to feed my family on less money, but I can sure tell you that this week has been fun trying and it has made me look at the way I spend money, how I can save money and how I can get the most bang for my buck and have everyone in the family enjoy what we are eating. Unlike Erin Chase, my hubby is a picky eater so finding something he will eat is challenging.

If you think being a CEO is difficult, try being a stay-at-home mom getting people to eat what they don't like, it takes ingenuity and in my case, lots of salt! HAHA!!
I would love to show you what dinner looked like tonight, however, here is what is left and NO, I did not throw the left overs in the garbage. Everyone including my wonderful husband had at least 2 big bowl fulls and the great thing was it was a chicken dinner and my hubby isn't especially fond of chicken!

The recipe was quick and easy and here it is, 'Silver's Savory Chicken and Broccoli Casserole.'

6 ounces egg noodles ( I used an entire bag) (Cost was 79 cents)

3 tablespoons butter (62 cents)

1 yellow onion, chopped (19 cents)

1/4 cup all-purpose flour (on hand)

1 1/2 cups chicken broth ( I use chicken bouillon and make my own)

3/4 cup milk ( I used a mixture of evaporated milk and water and the milk was in the fridge)

salt and pepper to taste (on hand)

5 cups cooked and shredded chicken (I bought a pre-cooked chicken Tuesday for $5.99 at Freddies and this was the 3rd meal I used it for)

1 bag chopped frozen broccoli (thawed) (on sale at my local Swansons 79 bag)

1 cup shredded cheese (already on hand)

Bring water to boil, add noodles and cook 6-8 minutes until al dente. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F or 200 degrees C. Grease a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish.

Melt butter in large saucepan or skillet over medium heat. Saute onion until tender about 3 minutes. Mix in flour. Gradually stir in chicken broth. Slowly stir in mild and cook stirring until sauce begins to thicken. Season with salt and pepper.

Place cooked noodles in the bottom of the casserole dish. Arrange cooked chicken in an even layer over noodles. Place broccoli over the chicken. Pour sauce evenly over the borccoli. Sprinkle cheese over the casserole.

Bake in over for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted.

It was healthy and flavorful and it made me smile!






No comments: