Sunday, October 24, 2010

Pumpkin Patch Pics


I just love the changing of the seasons and fall and spring are my favorite times of the year. Fall because of the chill in the air, the leaves are starting to change and the signaling that pumpkin patches, corn mazes, pumpkin pies are right around the corner.

I also love taking pictures from the back, when children are running or walking and I can catch the excitement in their steps.

Here, my granddaughter and one of her friends was rushing off to find the largest pumpkin they could and they didn't want a pumpkin close to the drop off point, they wanted to run to the deepest part of the field.

In the end, realizing they had to carry their pumpkins back, the grand decided on finding the smallest, most closest pumpkin she could.
Her friend? Well, I think she had one of the largest pumpkins around, but I won't show her face here as I don't feel comfortable doing so!
These 2 were checking out the pumpkins together and I had them sit down so I could snap off a picture of them together with a pumpkin. As you can see in their faces, the ground was a bit muddy and damp and they weren't real happy to be so close.

Matter of fact, I was amazed that day at how many of the kids were shocked to find mud and dirt on their pumpkins and rotting pumpkins. I explained to them not everything is clean on a farm and this is the real deal!

I am so thankful for wonderful farmers like this one who open their property up to school children and the public so they can see where things really come from!

Growing up in the country and near horses most of my life, I always knew about farms and farming. Ri
ght now, I would love to own a few acres and be able to share with children how things are grown!

'I've never seen a purple cow...,' or for that matter a green pumpkin in the stores and that is why I think she wanted this one. She told me, 'everyone has an orange pumpkin, so I want this one!'

Yes, she carried it quite a way without any help. The only thing the farmer advised her was to not carry it by the stem. Seems, young pumpkins are softer and the stem will just fall out leaving her holding just a stem!

We have this pumpkin on the front stoop! The one on the ground next to her is her sisters!

I just love the expression on her face. You can see it is heavy, but she wouldn't admit it to anyone for any amount of money because she is strong!

This last one says it all about fall and pum
pkin patches. It is about being outside, about running free in a field of green, pumpkins and mud and it is about having fun so much fun that you are unaware of the camera taking pictures of you. I love her hair in this one and the expression on her face!
A few days later, they made pumpkin pancakes at school with canned pumpkin and brought me the recipe. For those of you who would like it, I am posting it! In the meantime, if you have a recipe for roasting pumpkin seeds or making a fresh pumpkin pie, I would love it, as I have 2 pumpkins that will need carving very soon!


Pumpkin Pancakes
2 Cups all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons packed brown sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 1/4 Teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 Teaspoon Salt
1 3/4 cup Milk
1/2 Cup Libby's 100% pure pumpkin
1 Large Egg
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil

Directions:
First combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt in a large bowl.

Second, combine milk, pumpkin, egg and vegetable oil in small bowl; mix well and add to flour mixture.

Third, stir until just moistened; batter will be lumpy.

Fourth, heat griddle or skillet over medium heat and brush lightly with oil.

Fifth, pour approximately 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle and cook until bubbles begin to burst. Turn and continue to cook for another 1-2 minutes.

Serve your favorite way with applesauce, pumpkin maple sauce, syrup, etc.

**For my international readers, you can click on this link and locate a conversion chart from US standard measuring to metric.**

No comments: