Saturday, December 3, 2011

Craftsman Home Dining Hutch...Needs Help


Even if you do not own a Craftsman home, you can help me in several ways with my old stinky dish cabinet.

This is a built in in the dining room of our old house and it needs a make over big time!

I hate the white on white it is ugly and not appealing at all. I am looking for some suggestions to make this cabinet 'POP,' and shine!

I will let you know I am planning on placing chicken wire behind the glass (or maybe I am) to give it a more country look and replacing the knobs to something more of that era. While I believe the shelves are a bit newer, I am thinking of stripping all the 85 years of paint layers off the doors and 2 drawers underneath to see what the wood is like. However, hubby feels that is going to be bigger mess than it is worth.

I know many of you are amazing decorators and have some excellent ideas, perhaps you can fix up some Pinterest pictures for me or show me some of the things you have done. I am excited to try to fix this up.

The walls are currently 2 toned green, but I am planning on changing that if we are allowed to remain in our home to a rich buttery yellow with some blue trim to match a country plaid fabric I have to recover my dining chairs.

Here is another picture of the interior. I am open to any and all suggestions.

It also has a very old funky disgusting smell to it. I am not sure if it is years of old layers of lead paint or if it is because it sits right over the stair well, but I can get the smell to vacate awhile if I leave the doors open for awhile, but a few hours later it is back.

I tried stick ups one time and my dishes and cups smelled like air freshener.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

No comments: