Saturday, June 30, 2012

Please Stop The Cutting (of helpless fabrics)

I admit it, I am a fabric junkie, I love everything about it. I cannot go into a fabric store without buying at least something, I just can't. But I have been a good girl and began using all my miles of stash and have dwindled it down quite a bit. That does not mean I am not getting more, it just means after a few years not all fabric lasts and I have made some bad purchases in the past when I first began quilting.

So with the past few projects and just a few more left with stashes of fabric I set aside for specific projects, I have been looking at purchasing fabric from a variety of shops (large and small), Ebay, international sellers and nothing frustrates me more to find the fabric already pre-chopped up.

Now, I am NOT talking about shops like the Fat Quarter Shop, I think their name says it all and I would expect to find Fat Quarters there. I am also not talking true fabric shops that sell their yardage by the 1/4 or 1/2 yard and advertise that you have to order 2 or 4 to get continuous yardage.  That doesn't bother me at all!

What bothers me is to see sellers advertise the fabric as 1 and when I read, I find it is 1 fat quarter or 1 remnant and it doesn't state that fact.

What really frustrates me are shops that pre-cut their fabric into squares of 4x4, 5x5, strips, etc.. Am I alone here?  I know I don't have to purchase, but when it comes to vintage fabrics sometimes I can't find whole pieces.  Offer to cut it on your shop, but don't cut it before someone buys it.

I use fabric for clothing and quilting, pillows, etc. and perhaps I am just a purist at heart wanting to dream of what can I make and this is such a let down to me. 

I realize some people like this or it wouldn't be sold this way, but I am soooooooooo sad to see it cut before I can turn it into another project.

Gripe over, thanks for stopping by!

No comments: