Tuesday, August 28, 2012

We Still Need All Quilters, Knitters and Crocheters for Aurora

I want to show you just a sampling of what an amazing group in California is doing for those in Aurora.  They have a goal of sending in 100 quilts and at 42 and counting, I have no doubt their determination will get this done!

Can we count on at least one from you?  Look at these pictures and you can see these quilts are all beautiful in their own designs and making but they are not extremely detailed, they were made to be beautiful in simplicity and to completion quickly.

 How about that UFO you look at everyday and say, someday I will finish it.  Please, make that day today.
Can't quilt?  That is okay, can you knit or crochet? Make a small afghan there are as beautiful and warm as any quilt I have ever curled up under.

How about making a quilt for one of the 12 families that lost a loved one?  The family of 6 year old Veronica Moser-Sullivan or Matt McQuinn's family and his girlfriend and her brother (Matt was the hero who dove over these 2 to save their lives while his own was taken) United States Navy member John Larimer's family.

For these quilts I am asking a more elaborate quilt be sent.  There is enough information on the internet and in People and other magazines to get a true feel of these people and what you can do.  Perhaps a beautiful pink quilt for Veronica's mom who was also shot (Melinda where are you??), for the Larimer family, one that is ocean based or Navy based?

If you want to do this for an individual family or perhaps one of the 59 who were injured and survived, contact me via Email or the FB site: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Aurora-Colorado-Emergency-Responder-Quilts/401592493230782 and let me know so I can keep track of who we still need to cover.

Where are all my apron swap friends who are so amazingly talented and gifted and so generous during apron swaps?  Come on ladies I know you can whip something up.  What about the men who read my blog and are so talented?

This quilt just is so beautiful in its golden simplicity and right away it reminded me of Colorado in the fall or early spring.  One like this can be hand tied, stitched in the ditch, we don't need perfection, we need love and warmth.
I have been blessed to know so many from other countries are reaching out from places like Canada and Scotland.  I met a quilter while camping, she is going to send one.

Remember, it is about 1 quilt and 1 quilter. I am not asking you to make 5, 10 or 15, I am asking you to commit to one or as many as you want to commit to, but commit.

I was recently saddened by a woman who wanted to help but doesn't quilt so she went into her local quilt shop to talk to them. They were not interested at all and told her so.  She didn't ask them to make a quilt, she simply asked them to take a flier and let others know.

Yes, I know what you are saying if every shop gave in...blah, blah, blah! Excuses that is what it simply is.

At this writing Hurricane Isaac is destined to hit New Orleans and I am praying for my friends that live in the area that are still writhing from Hurricane Katrina.  Some of you are thinking what about these people?  Yes, there will be a need, however, right now I made a commitment to Aurora, Colorado to not forget about them, to not let them become buried under the next news story.

Won't you please, please commit to sending 1 quilt?  

Put yourself in their shoes, what if it wasn't Aurora? What if it was your town? How would you feel knowing people cared so much about you?

I had one local quilter deliver a quilt to me. A single mom of 2 girls who has had a series of strokes, but she still quilts.  A few days later her daughter lost everything she owned in a devastating fire that burned down the apartment complex she was living in.  Our community came together not only for her daughter but for everyone living in the complex and yet, out of her devastation and pain, out of the ashes, came this message:

I am still working on another quilt. The fire has slowed me down a bit, but I haven't forgotten.

One person, one quilt!

No comments: