Please, if you have a top you aren't going to finish or have no time to finish, send it to me, I will get it completed and off to one of these grieving family members!
I know it is summer, there are family vacations, reunions, you just want to take it easy and I really do understand. What I do not understand is why it is always the same people that step up to help in these causes while I know you are an amazing quilter and can reach out to help.
Many of you have felt like I have in the past:
- My quilts are not good enough to send to anyone. Let me assure you I have heard from those who receive these quilts and never have I been told the quilt they received wasn't good enough! They said it made a difference, it warmed their spirit!
- I don't have the money for the postage. Well, I have an anonymous donor who has pledged up to a certain amount in postage, so that isn't a hindrance anymore!
- Someone else will step up before I do. Really? Is that why I am still asking for 30 quilters? Or 15 to do 2 quilts each or however many it takes to get this done!
- I heard another organization has this covered. They may, but they may not as well!
- My quilts are too valuable to give away. Those who lost their lives fighting fires didn't think they were to valuable to reach out and help others and their families while grieving, know they died doing what they loved. Give from your heart!
- It takes to much work? I am NOT asking to send huge quilts unless your heart tells you to do so, I am asking for lap sized for the children and a bit larger than lap sized for the adults.
- I don't know the fabric to use. I would back these in flannel or fleece or use a heavy batting, Prescott and the area gets cold in the fall and winter time.
- How do I now you aren't keeping these quilts for yourself? These quilts DO NOT come to me, they go directly to the firehouse for families. I live in Washington and the address is in Arizona and we have an address in Montana. Unless it is a quilt that needs finishing, they go directly to Arizona!
- I don't know what they like, the colors, etc.. I don't think it matters. I am currently making 2 baby quilts, 1 is an owl and the other has crazy fish on it, they are cute and unisex, that is what matters, put your heart into it and that is what matters!
- I don't get a tax deduction. All I can tell you is that I am working on this very slow process and I have sent the paperwork off to at least register with the State of Washington Secretary of State Charities Program, but even that takes time and doesn't make me a non-profit, it just makes me a registered charity that makes less than $5000 per year.