Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving....I Am Out of Here!

To all my wonderful family, friends, newly met blog friends and those who just happen to stop by to check out my blog, I want to wish each and everyone of you a wonderful Thanksgiving filled with food, fun and love.

This year we will be sharing our day with a friend that has been by my/our families side for many years. A friend who without him many times I am not truly sure if I would have been strong enough to weather some of the storms our family has gone through.

Yes, I am married and have a great husband, but many of those trials he was going through as well and sometimes you need to not be a burden to your spouse and just have someone else there that can help you sort all the pain and anguish out.

Thanksgiving is a time for being thankful and while the economy is tanking, I am very thankful for many things...my healing, my husband, my best friend, my grandchildren, my job, my home and the fact that when I look around I live in a beautiful place!

Yesterday, I went to WalMart and it was cold, gray and pouring rain. Here is this young man ringing the Salvation Army bell. He is as hunkered down in his rain gear as he can get and I am watching him as he is pulling tighter and tighter on his raincoat to keep warm.

Before I entered WM, I stopped and gave him a donation and asked if he would like a cup of coffee when I came back out. He looked at me at first as if I had just stepped off planet Neptune, then a smile came across his face and he said, 'yes maa'm, thank you, I would appreciate it.'

I got the last of my items and heading out, I stopped by McDonalds to get the largest cup of coffee they had. I then took my purchases to the garden section (the door he was at), placed my basket in line and walked out the door and handed him the coffee. He was thankful and grateful.

His thankfulness isn't what amazed me. It was when I went back inside and 4 people looked at me and said what a kind thing that was for me to do. NEWS FLASH PEOPLE!!! It doesn't have to be a holiday to be kind to someone. I have bought many a cup of coffee or warm meal for someone freezing. But the fact that others thought I had done something extraordinary was what amazed me.

Lets all remember when we sit down to share our meal tomorrow that there are people that won't have the same blessings we will. I know many....my sons out of state, prisoners, widows, widowers, homeless, unemployed....we are blessed, lets not forget to share our blessings with others!

More Than A Day
As Thanksgiving Day rolls around,
It brings up some facts, quite profound.
We may think that we're poor,
Feel like bums, insecure,
But in truth, our riches astound.
We have friends and family we love;
We have guidance from heaven above.
We have so much more
Than they sell in a store,
We're wealthy, when push comes to shove.
So add up your blessings, I say;
Make Thanksgiving last more than a day.
Enjoy what you've got;
Realize it's a lot,
And you'll make all your cares go away.
By Karl Fuchs


No comments: