Saturday, January 31, 2009

Sunday Dinner on Saturday

Tomorrow (Sunday) is my once a month trip to Olympia for supplies (groceries) at Fred Meyers, Target, JoAnn Fabrics, etc. It is special because the new quilt shop that moved from Rochester to Oakville will be open tomorrow, so I get to go in and look around.

So, today I decided that it would be Sunday dinner on Saturday and of course, you are all invited to pull up a chair, have a seat and relax and have dinner with us.

As you can see, dinner doesn't have to have the good dishes out (even if they are your
daily dishes like my good ones are), you can use whatever you feel like.

I decided while I was out today instead of using candles, I wanted to have some color on the table, so I picked up these Tulips, whacked off the bottoms and stuck them in one of my drinking glasses & then sat it in the middle of the lazy Susan.

Just some quick color and the table looks special. I used our everyday cereal bowls to set the table with, they are just white with blue rims, but they all match. If it were up to me, they wouldn't because I like an eclectic table, its fun!

Since we are having my very favorite rainy day meal of Paula Deen's Beef Bourbon Y'all and a loaf of crusty French and sourdough bread, we had to use bowls. I just put the bread on a cutting board, sliced a few slices and left the knife where it can be used again & Voila', you have a nice family meal.

What was nice was hubby decided today to give me a break, so he kept the kids home and I ran a few errands. I stopped at the post office and mailed off the earlier giveaways & p
icked up some stamps with hearts on them. Stopped by my local quilt shop looking for a mat that would help me keep my sewing peddle under control, but they didn't have one & since I have wood floors, that little bugger slides all over.

I went to WalMart and picked up some batting for 2 quilts I am working on, a few groceries and some wonderful gooey chocolate covered marshmallow cookies (does anyone remember those from childhood? I love them!) & some jewels for my sunglasses...keep an eye here and you will see what I do with both!

I did look around for fabric, but couldn't find any I liked for what I wanted to make. Which is good I will be ready tomorrow!

Stopped by Michaels Meats on Wishkah and then into Jays Fruit Stand and picked up fresh veggies for the stew and some Cherries! Oh my, the kids and I love to sit on the front porch steps and have pit spitting contests & yes, we have even had neighbors join in. Isn't it fun being a child again once in awhile?


For dessert (I knew you were waiting), I made homemade banana pudding and had just enough left over to fill a bowl to the brim for my 90+ year old neighbor. He was so happy t
o have dessert & he is really a doll of a man.

Here is a picture of the Beef Bourbon Y'all and yes, I use real bourbon and the way it is added, it cooks off quickly & it makes for the best winter dish ever. I have served it to company and family and friends and no one ever tells me they don't like it.

Matter of fact, today, I cooked some bacon, removed it from the pan, browned my meat and cookied the veggies in the drippings and then added the bourbon.

Here is Paula's recipe, or you can go to Food Network and type in the name and get it
that way.
  • '2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 3 pounds beef chuck, cut into 2-inch cubes
  • House Seasoning, recipe follows
  • 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
  • 1/2 cup diced onions
  • 1/2 cup diced celery
  • 1/2 cup bourbon
  • 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes with their juice
  • 2 to 3 cups beef stock
  • 1 cup corn kernels
  • 1 cup green beans, trimmed and cut in 1/2
  • 2 cups quartered new red potatoes
  • Salt and pepper

Directions

Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy pot with a lid. Season the meat all over with House Seasoning and sear in a single layer. Remove the beef to a plate and add the green bell pepper, onion and celery to the pot and saute until softened. Return the beef back to the pot and add the bourbon, diced tomatoes and enough stock to cover the beef. Bring up to a boil and then lower to a simmer with the lid on ajar. Simmer for 2 hours or until beef is very tender. Then add the corn, green beans and red potatoes. Simmer 10 to 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.

House Seasoning:

1 cup salt

1/4 cup black pepper

1/4 cup garlic powder

Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.'

Copied from the world wide web January 31, 2009, at: http:///www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/beef-bourbon-yall-recipe/index.html

This comes out so thick and delicious that I think you could make it without the beef if you don't eat meat, it would then change the name, but it is up to you.

So, I guess when people come to visit they are going to think we are pretty heavy drinkers with the bourbon and new bottle of Raspberry Liquer (another recipe, this time a dessert) and the wine in the basement, but fact is, rarely do I drink, I use it all for cooking.

It has been a beautiful day today. Cold, sunny and clear outside. I blessed my hubby this morning by letting him sleep in and starting a fire to warm him when he got out of bed. He blessed me by allowing me to run errands and leave the children home, I came home and cooked while hubby relaxed playing Wii with the kids.

Just got off the telephone with my youngest son (25 years old) & his last words were I love you guys. This is such a wonderful blessing in itself. You see, in case you didn't know, our son has Aspergers Syndrome a form of Autism & up until the last year or so, he never once told either of us he loved us or came close enough to hug.

As I said earlier today, we can all find something to be thankful for and when you have a child that takes 23 or so years to look you in the eyes and say I love you. WOW! It is so worth it and very praiseworthy in every sense of the word.

Have a blessed week-end y'all!

I serve my banana pudding in clear short drinking glasses, the kids love it! They were more impressed that I crushed the wafers and sprinkled them on the top of the pudding.



No comments: