Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Grandparents Closet...A Thrift Shop For Grandparents

Awhile back, Karen over at Grandparents Raising Grandchildren, told me about a thrift shop close to where she lives that was opened to help grandparents that are raising grandchildren. Of course, I thought that was a truly amazing thing to do and pushed it to the back of my mind, but with all the down time I have had recently, it seems to be that is at the very front of my mind.

In my area, there are many grandparents raising grandchildren and you can tell that many of them (us) need help but are to proud to ask for it and I even know first hand what it is like to go into debt for these precious children we love so very much. However, if there was a place that not only operated as a non-profit, but perhaps allowed grandparents to 'work off,' what they needed by volunteering in the thrift store, I believe we could have a win-win situation for all involved.

I think I would need to start with a grandparents raising grandchildren group and work from there, but oh, I can imagine the possibilities we could help with: school supplies, clothing, home repairs...okay, so I am way putting the horse before the cart, but I truly believe in our area, this could be done. Even if we just start a support group in a church with child care. It would be more than what we have!

Karen, if you read this, please let me know the name and number of that thrift shop, I would love to contact them!

No comments: