Sunday, August 16, 2009

How To Have Your Cake and Eat Your Zucchini


This was a full cake last evening, but the kids wanted pieces right out of the oven. Of course, they have no clue that it has Zucchini in it and a full two cups of it.
I don't know where I found this recipe, I only know that I have had it for almost 30 years and my children ate it, it has gone to many church and work pot lucks and now my grandchildren are enjoying it. No one realizes there are veggies in the cake, all they see is chocolate and the chocolate chips.
I would like to share the recipe with you and if you use it, please let me know how your family, co-workers or friends enjoyed it.
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
1/2 cup margarine
1/2 cup oil (I use Canola)
1 3/4 cup white sugar (I have tried substitutes, but it doesn't taste as good)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup sour milk* (*instructions at end of recipe)
2 1/2 cups white flour
4 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
2 cups zucchini (shredded)
1/2 cup chocolate chips (Add more if you wish)
Cream margarine, oil and sugar together until creamy. Add eggs, vanilla & sour milk, beat with mixer. Mix together all the dry ingrediants and add to creamed mixture a little at a time beating well with mixer. Stir in zucchini and mix until well blended.
Pour mixture into a 9 x 12 x 2 pan (I use an 11 x 13). Sprinkle chocolate chips on the top and bake in a preheated oven at 325 degree's for 40-45 minutes.
*To make sour milk, add 1 teaspoon lemon juice to 1/2 cup milk, set aside for 5 minutes.
This is a great cake to eat warm out of the oven, to take along to get togethers because you don't have to worry about the frosting sticking to everything!

No comments: