Monday, December 14, 2009

My Husband Is Soooooooooo Funny!

Today, I have a job interview. The funny thing is, the man and my husband were talking so much about our house being his grandmothers place until 1971, hubby didn't get the mans name, so I am hoping that isn't strike one for me when I go in for my interview.

Secondly, my husband is clearly my number one fan or tied with number one with my mom and dad, my grandchildren and my best friend. All of whom believe I am very qualified to do any job I have applied for and all of who are getting frustrated because I can't find permanent work.

In the last two weeks, I have driven over 300 miles and put in 27 resumes and job applications and I have an interview today and I am so praying this will turn out positive for me, but not so much for me, but for my family and my husband.

There is nothing like looking into your spouses eyes when you get a rejection on a job and seeing doubt. What did YOU do wrong? I have a bad habit of shaking my leg, but I don't do this during interviews. Did I say the wrong thing, was I overly confident, under confident, did I stutter, was I dressed wrong?

Last night, when I was telling hubby about playing with the kids his honest comment was, 'I am glad you can stay home and play with PlayDoh while I have to work overtime just to make ends meet.' That stung!

Then the other day after receiving the third rejection notice from Providence Hospital in Olympia for a job via Email, he told me maybe I should have a special Email address for employers that let them know they missed out on a good thing. Things like: YOU LOSE.com, YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU MISSED.com, etc.

Neither of us have any answers, but some light was shed yesterday as I was leaving church and heard on the radio about a study done during this economic crisis that women over the age of 40 are the most discriminated section of women in the work force there are. The reason? We are a society of youthful and women over the age of 40 or 50, just don't fit the bill.

I was so sad! How many times have you gone into a business and the 'younger' person is on a personal call and doesn't even acknowledge you? My husband went up to a store associate a few weeks ago and he could tell the conversation between the sales person and the other person was on a personal level, when he excused himself, the sales person turned on him and said: 'Can't you see we are talking? You need to find someone else to help you!'

This is what business owners want? People who are rude? People who don't acknowledge customers when they walk in? People who show you that their bad date last night is more important than the company they work for?

I was once told during the good times, employers hire the educated and during the lean times, employers hire the experienced. Well, I don't know what is going on, but I am both and can't find work.

I no longer Facebook or Twitter finding I needed to spend more time on resume preparation. I have had some good and not so good comments on my resume and took peoples advice and cleaned it up, shortened it, made it look crisper and removed my references.

So, today, I am going to an interview and that makes me happy because at least for today, I can feel someone feels I am at least good enough on paper to talk to. To the rest of the employers that keep turning me down. I am sorry, you are really missing out on a great employee, you can ask any of the people I have worked with or worked for!

1 comment:

Patty said...

I know what you mean about the 40 - 50 bunch of women. I'm looking also and when they see you it's kind of like they give a look of "why are you here wasting my time"

From reading what you write I think you must be a fun person.
Keep looking, with your personality you'll find something.

The pic of the baby is so cute. I love that age when they communicate with you.