Sunday, January 2, 2011

Studying The Bible

Today is Sunday and I believe the best day of the week to discuss Bible studies. My oldest has challenged herself to read the entire Bible in the month of January...WOW!! Its a challenge just to read it from cover to cover in a year, but she is pushing herself.

Of course, she is reading it for the challenge and not for the studying at this point, but how does one study the Bible and why would we?

First of all I believe in my heart that studying the Bible will make me a stronger Christian the more I read it. It will give me more confidence in the power of prayer and help produced in me peace and calmness. It will also help me to focus on Jesus Christ and the purpose I am here for and lastly, I believe if I study the Bible, it will add to my success as a person!

So, you want to know how to start? Here is my quick guide:

1- Read Daily
2- Set a regular reading time & stick with it (15 minutes of reading and 15 study works for me)
3- Set a goal for reading...I will do this for the next 365 days
4- Set a place....mine is my desk in the early morning (I am working on getting a small shower or mediatation chair so I can resume my prayers in my prayer closet!)
5- Read with a pencil or highlighter (I use colored pencils**) and when you see something underline it or write your notes in a notebook!
6- Keep a daily spiritual journal.

A few years back, I received a Bible Marking Legend from Dr. James McDonald and I follow his guide:
Green- God's word calls for me to grow.
Blue- God's word tells me about who He is and about His word.
Purple- Wow! God has given me a special insight here.
Brown- God's Word describes the spiritual realm or spiritual warfare.
Yellow- God's Word gives me a glimpse of heaven and my eternal hope.
Orange- God's Word brings comfort.
Red- God's Word reveals Christ's atoning work.
Pink- God's Word Instructs me about relationships.

Of course, you can use whatever colors work for you, but the point is, read the Bible, make notes and refer to them often.

Still confused and wondering where to start and Genesis isn't exactly what you are looking for ?

Why not try this:

  • Read 1st John 7 times and write daily notes on what you read. Use a different page and when you are done read through all your notes, you will be amazed at how differently you write each day.
  • Gospel of John twice:
4 Chapters everyday and list 7 miracles.
  • Gospel of Mark Twice
  • Philippians, Galatians, Ephesians, Colossians, 1&2 Thessalonians, 1&2 Timothy, Titus and Philemon. Read one per day.
I think this is a great place to leave you for today, if you get through all of this before I continue, send me an Email and I will give you more.

Have a blessed and relaxed Sunday!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Thank you for blogging about the Bible and posting the praying picture. I have been saying for a few days now that I want to start reading the bible on a regular basis but had not googled a plan yet. When I read your post about your child reading it in a month I figured I could try for something a bit less challanging and read it in a year. Thanks for your insperation!

autumnesf said...

Just as a FYI there is a book called Word On The Street that is the bible (not capitalized as it is not an exact translation) written like a modern novel that many people have picked up and read right thru. I was skeptical and not interested because I love my Bible, but I am so glad my stubborn friend bought a copy and sent it to me. Great for someone that needs the Bible but might be in a place where reading the real thing requires too much attention or whatever. For the one month challenge its a breeze...and it makes you go pick up the Bible because you don't think this is really in there...but it is.