Saturday, August 27, 2011

Greek Yogurt Taste Test

**The following opinions are my own. I did this taste test withour an compensation what so ever from either Yoplait or Chobani.**

Now that we have that information out of the way, lets talk Greek yogurt, or at least these two.

Anyone who knows me, knows the only yogurt I ever eat is Yoplait's Thick and Creamy as I do not like regular yogurt. I like the taste but the texture makes me gak!!


So, all I have been seeing lately is Greek yogurt this and Greek yogurt that and French yogurt which I have not tried yet.

The first one I tried was the Yoplait and I tried it Honey Vanilla and I found it to be thick like ice cream almost, but I found it to have almost a chalk like flavor.

I checked out the ingredients and Yoplait has Cultured pasteurized Grade A Nonfat Milk, Milk Protein Concentrate, Sugar and contained less than 1% of some other ingredients (such as kosher gelatin and lemon juice). It has 150 calories, no fat, 8% sodium and 18g of sugars.

Then I tried Chobani Greek Yogurt in Strawberry. it is make with Cultured pasteurized Nonfat Milk,Fruit on the bottom (real berries) and some other things like pectin and cane juice. It has 140 calories, no fat, 20 g of sugars, 3% sodium.

I didn't find Chobani to be quite as thick as Yoplait, but I found the taste to be much more pleasant and the fruit was sweet and real.

Neither one of these is what I would call cheap yogurt, Chobani was 4/$5 at my local grocer while the Yoplait was $1.69 per container. If you can find a coupon, I would use it and try it that way.

My personal choice would be Chobani, I haven't tried Oikos yet but when it comes to yogurt I believe it is really just ones own preference on flavors and textures. However, if you were wondering about Greek yogurt, I would definitely try Chobani.

I will give Yoplait a second try but it will be one with fruit inside the container, not a honey flavored one!