Saturday, December 17, 2011

Tuck Me In A Must Have Book For Little Ones

Recently I was contacted by the author of this book, Dean Hacohen and he asked me if I would mind receiving a copy of the book and reviewing it for him and let my blog audience know what I think. Well, true to his word, the book arrived in the mail yesterday. Truthfully, I was hoping for 2 books so I could give one away, but this one will be given to my grand children who live far away.

From an adults stand point the book has an eye catching cover and the raised quilt on the front is great for children, the cost is very reasonable $10.00 if you live in the United States, $12.00 if you live in Canada. It is published by Candlewick Press and the only thing I did not like about it , is the fact it was printed in China.


I am tired of everything I pick up being made in China, can't we find companies willing to do the same work here? The last 2 items I received from China, I had to throw out because they smelled so strongly of chemicals I went into an asthma attack.


With that aside, I thought the book was cute. However, I decided to let my three live in grandchildren read it to themselves (ages 8,9 & 10) and while not literary critics, they know what they like and don't like. The 10 year olds face just lit up reading this and she had a smile a mile long. Her opinion, 'this is really cute, I like the little blankets we can cover the characters up with, can I keep it?'


Next, the 8 year old, my grandson said, 'I like it, but it is better for babies, I am to old for this book, I know all the words.' What is the best part? He liked the feel of the front cover but said he likes my made up stories better than a book. Would his baby cousins like it? 'Uh uh, they would love it he said because of all the animals they can tuck into bed.'


The 9 year old said it was Awesome and her favorite part was the decorations on the quilts, because they remind her of all the quilts I have made for them and reading to them at night.


So, there you have it, these opinions are from 3 children who read the book and received no compensation other than the joy of reading it. They gave it a 10 stars out of 10 stars rating and said this is an awesome babies book for them to look at, touch and have someone read to them.


If you are a parent or grandparent I would recommend this book be placed in a childs Christmas stocking or under the tree. Perhaps it can be added to the gifts for a brand new grandchild, niece, nephew, neighbor or friend. You could gift it to the nursery of your church, daycare, etc..


My best suggestion comes from a 10 year old in all her years of wisdom, 'Ranny, we can buy another book, send one to my cousin and at night, we can call her and her mom can hold the book up for her to read along with us.' Now how is that for a great suggestion for all grandparents who live far away?


Purchase 2 and then use your web-cam to read each night so you can see their little faces light up.


Don't pass up this opportunity to grab a copy from your favorite book store and if nothing else, Amazon is selling these books.


No comments: