Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Smaller Bits for Fibromyalgia Sufferers

I have Fibromyalgia and many people find that hard to believe when they see my quilts, or that I manage a Webelo den or I am raising three fantastical amazing grandchildren. But it is true and the keys I have found to Fibromyalgia or the management of this disease is do things in smaller bits and chunks and stop beating yourself up for not being able to do what you used to.

Matter of fact many times I look back and wonder if working all those night shifts, filled with stress and then spending two or more days up without sleep to catch up on my grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning, etc. had something to do with the demise of this body.

Honestly, I never took care of it and now it is forcing me to.

So, I just wanted to share a few things I do to help myself not get so frustrated and trust me, after dropping things because my grip strength is now shot, it became important to improvise and that applause goes to my hubby and my best friend John, both who work to keep my slowed down.

How many of you shop at warehouse stores?  I know with 3 school aged children in the house, I sure do and I prefer to shop in bulk which means I try to shop once or twice a year for large items and things we use often as opposed to running out and buying it when it is higher costing.

For instance, I know our family goes through 2 tubes of toothpaste per month, so I   Ligpurchase 24 tubes in January. I know a bottle of shampoo from warehouse will last us over 6 months and conditioner well over a year.  Buy accordingly.


How about those larger items that I can't lift or if I do I am afraid will fall out of my hands? Items like bulk cooking oils or dish soap? 

I have had to admit over the past few years, I can't do it anymore, bottles like this are far to heavy for me to lift and pour and can you imagine what would happen if either of these spilled?  Oh my, what a mess!!

When I had my back surgery, my friend John had just purchased me a large bottle of this Dawn and he knew it would be difficult for me to lift with my restriction on lifting, so he purchased me a smaller bottle and said when it is empty refill. Duh!! Due to playing super woman I had never thought about any other way, than mine. Go figure!

Here is the way I use both of those products now. In smaller bits.  The grands love to help and when these products run low they will get the funnel and the large bottles and fill them for me, or hubby will check them periodically to keep them filled.

I am just wanting to share with you some simplistic ways to manage the way you do things.  It isn't easy, I know that, but I also know little bits make it easier to manage.

Recently I had to get rid of my porcelain dutch oven. I loved that pot for soups, chili, stews, browning meats, etc., but I also had to admit, it was becoming to difficult to lift. I was able to sell it to someone who loves it!

 You don't have to like Fibromyalgia, you just need to manage it in small bits!

No comments: