Saturday, February 15, 2014

Thread Issues, Which Do You Prefer For Quilting?

We all have different machines and needs, but I am looking for a really good quilting thread and would like some opinions and how do you purchase it and where?

My machine doesn't take cones, but I am seriously thinking about getting a cone holder that sits next to my machine and see if that works.

What brand of thread do you think works best for top and bottom? Do you use the same or different brands?

What quantity do you purchase it in?

I love using colored thread on both top and bottom's of my quilt depending upon the design of the quilt.  I do not like using clear nylon thread as my machine seems to break it and it breaks cotton thread easily as well.

I am just looking for some good ideas to try.

I have tried Superior thread, Gutterman Thread, Sulky Threads and more.

So, I am all ears, ready to hear what you all recommend!

2 comments:

Shelley: the Dread Pirate Rodgers said...

Glide thread from Fil-Tec. website is http://www.bobbincentral.com/

I used to be a dyed-in-the-wool Superior thread fanatic. But that was because I had a wonderful access to the thread at less than retail costs. That access went away and now I'm like everyone else. :-)

I still love the look of Superior thread but they really are too expensive for me.

When at a quilt show, one of the vendors had Glide thread. At $7/cone. I was astonished but leery. I bought the color the vendor said was his biggest seller, "Khaki". It didn't look like what I thought khaki should look like but rather like a burnished, old gold color.

What I learned: I LOVE this thread. It's a trilobal polyester like Superior's but at a MUCH lower cost. True, they don't have a huge color selection and they don't have multi-colored cones but that's OK with me.

The Khaki color looks very much like a subdued metallic when I used it on holiday fabric. It blended fantastically when I used it on other fabrics.

Since then, I've bought more colors in Glide and couldn't be happier.

Quiltingranny said...

Thanks Shelley, I will look into it. I love Aurifil and Superior and Gutterman, but cost kills me!