Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Advantages of 5th Wheel Living During a Power Outage

We had a power outage recently in our neighborhood and I barely noticed because my fridge/freezer go automatically to propane and operate that way, my lights are very low wattage and run off batteries that are constantly recharging themselves, my heat is propane and if it gets to be longer than expected...I have a back up generator!

I also brought battery operated camping lights that look that old fashioned lanterns and have them in an area where I can reach them and will illuminate the best.

Just remember a few things...

If your electric goes out, you don't have a pump for your toilet to flush.

If your electric goes out, you won't have water...we keep a case under the belly for such emergency and a few gallons of water to flush with.

Windows...we 8 windows in our dining/living area that bring in lots of light.

Quilts. As a quilter, we have quilts in a large tub under the belly, I can also hang on tension rods heavy blankets that will separate the upstairs so we can keep our bedroom warmer.

Emergency flash lights.

Food. We keep plenty of things on hand like peanut butter, jelly, tuna, canned chicken, fruit, etc..

You need to think about these things when purchasing a 5th wheel and ensure you are ready to be a full-timer.

Lastly, they have giant surge protectors that go from the outlet outside that you plug your own utility lines to and then if there is an issue, that will protect your home.

My mom and step-dad were in their motor home in Colorado a few years back and the place they were staying got struck by lightening, they lost their entire electrical system in a flash.

2 comments:

Sara said...

I'm finding your transition to RV living quite interesting. Good for you! I have a friend who sold her house 2 years ago and has been living/traveling (alone with her cat) in her RV.

I couldn't do it for very long myself. Claustrophobia would set in too quickly for me. But it would be fun for a short vacation. We rented an RV once when the kids were young. My husband hated every minute of it because he was too tall for the shower and the bed, etc.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Well planned! :)